A friend of mine told me she really wants to journal, but just didn’t know where to begin. She also said she would love for her kids to be involved and her hubby too! She has great enthusiasm for journaling together with her family and I suggested she try starting a family journal.
To get the whole family into the swing of journaling try this:
- Purchase a plain spiral notebook with a solid white cover.
- Have the family design the cover using markers, colored pencils, or pasting pictures.
- Decide what the theme of the journal will be: prayers, what I’m grateful for, blessings, today’s thoughts, etc.
- Each night before or after dinner, take turns writing in the journal. Make sure you date each entry. Emphasize that there are no word counts or grades for grammar and sentence structure.
- At the end of each week spend a few minutes reading each of the entries out loud to one another.
- Have someone write one sentence that sums up the entries for the week and record in the journal.
- Continue this throughout the year. At the end of the journal you will have a family history to keep for a lifetime!
If you decide to give this a try, I’d love to have a photo of your journal to share on my blog!
Kathy Bornarth, MA, LPC
Receive a free POW—prompt of the week—when you sign up at www.journaling4faith.com